Last weekend I went up to our property (or close to it) with my brothers. This road trip takes us by Strawberry Reservoir, a man made lake that freezes over during the winter. Every time we pass during the winter I question the sanity of the people there ice fishing. Standing on a huge sheet of ice in sub freezing temperatures dropping a line in a hole you just drilled in the ice does not sound like a good time to me. Fishing to me means short sleeve shirts, wading in water or hanging out in a boat, and actively casting and luring. Transversely I have always questioned water skiing. I just don't get the have your arms pulled out of your sockets trying to get up on the water and being yanked around a lake only to end up falling and getting water up your nose, or worse yet a high pressure enema. Downhill snow skiing however I enjoy. Ski down the hill and have a chair bring you back up, just be sure to dress warm.
Last summer while boating with some friends I saw this sport for the first time that is a combination of paragliding and water skiing. You take a huge wind sail on a long rope, add water skis or a wake board, and let the sail pull you around.
On the trip back from the property I saw this same sport but on the frozen lake, I believe the call this kite skiing. This I think I could do. Here are pictures of the kite skiers. The first is group of them, the second one is a skier that has a lot of lift, I think it is cool the way he lifts off the ground. The rest of them are a sequential set, as the skier with the blue kite goes by the other skier gets some good air. I did not notice this skier doing this until I saw the pictures on the computer.
Saturday, January 22, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I agree with you about warm or hot weather for fishing, although I have gone ice fishing, and had fun, hardly any fish, and I really don't want to eat fish that gets brought up and thrown out on the slab of ice in a heap until you go home..no that part is not for me, and I can walk out to the spot, no truck ride either...once while ice fishing on Lake SUPERIOR a blizzard blew in and let me say this one scary journey back to land as it all looks like a big white swirly blur in the middle of that gigantic lake..lost for sure I thought...but guess what...I had food cooking in the oven of where we all were staying...and you'll never know how awesome it was finding our way back with hot food waiting!!!! So yep, fishing in the warm/hot/chilly/rainy is OKAY
So bizarre -- I'd never heard of kite skiing until last night (when I was at a teachers' party to which Max was also invited but he had to work), and now you put up a gazillion pics of it.
Thanks for illustrating what my coworker was talking about last night. :)
Hey, I got pictures like those too. Oh, wait, I was right there next to you when you took those. Maybe that's why they are so familiar.
Love that blue kite! Funny, I have photo of a kite surfer for one of my blue photos. ;-)
Oh, that looks like SO much fun!
Post a Comment